Like practically all industries, the cost of a given plumbing service will vary depending on numerous factors. What can be said is that, on average, the hourly plumbing service across Australia is between $70 – $90. The average fixed rate fee for a typical service is around $150 – $180. The services are not cheap, but they are certainly a necessity!
You can only figure out if a plumber is giving you value by understanding a little bit about the industry. Which is why this blog is going to run you through the different criteria and the average costs for various plumbing jobs so you have a better idea where you stand.
Typical Costs for Standard Plumbing Projects in Australia
First, let’s look at the costs for standard plumbing projects in Australia.[fusion_table fusion_table_type=”1″ fusion_table_rows=”” fusion_table_columns=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]
|Plumbing Task||Cost Range|
|Callout Fee||$80 – $120|
|Installing A Bathroom Vanity||$150 – $200|
|Replace Broken Tap||$100 – $140|
|Fix Leaking Toilet||$100 – $140|
|Fix Leaking Pipe||$150 – $200|
|Unclog A Drain||$150 – $200|
|Toilet Installation||$250 – $500|
|Installing Shower Head||$200 – $300|
|Bathroom/Kitchen Faucet Installation||$250 – $500|
|Hot Water Service Replacement||$1,200|
|Shower Installation||$3,000 – $4,000|
|Sink Installation||$1,500 – $2,500|
|Bathtub Installation||$3,500 – $5,000|
|Solar Hot Water Install||$12,000|
Bear in mind that the above table are averages. It might take a plumber 2 hours to install a toilet at $80 per hour. But there are other costs such as the toilet itself and if an unexpected problem occurs, the price can rise drastically, up to $700.
The total costs for initial plumbing installation might be around $12,000 – $15,000 for a new house and $8,000 – $10,000 for a smaller dwelling such as a granny flat.
Factors Affecting Plumbing Costs
There are a myriad of factors that affect the cost of plumbing. Such factors will include:
- Location – Depending on your area and the demand, plumbers will be more or less expensive. As a very general rule of thumb, the more densely populated the area, the more expensive the plumber.
- Level of Expertise/Experience – Some plumbers regard their time more highly and will charge more in comparison to plumbers that are just starting out. This is not always the case but can be a factor. If they have more industry associations and certifications they will feel justified to charge more. And they might easily be justified in doing so.
- Job Type – Perhaps the most important factor affecting plumbing costs is the type of job. Fixing a leaking faucet and installing a hot water system is not the same thing.
- Plumbing Type – There are multiple types of plumbing. Roof plumbing and gasfitting will have different costs than typical plumbing services. Other specialised areas might include wastewater treatment, oil separator services, pipe relining, and jet blasting.
- Materials – The cost of the bathtub/pip/shower/toilet unit that you choose will vary dramatically. Better quality materials will cost more. You can ask the plumber for recommendations or you can find your own model.
- Callout Fee – Practically all plumbers will charge a callout fee to cover their time and expense. This is typically between $80 – $120.
- Equipment – Some plumbing jobs require the use of equipment such as drain cameras or cable cutters. This will increase the cost.
Average Hourly Rates Per Region
The average hourly rate for a plumber varies by region. The following table should help you to understand your local rate. You might also want to check up the local hourly plumbing rates per city as opposed to the region, and this should give you a more exact figure.[fusion_table fusion_table_type=”1″ fusion_table_rows=”” fusion_table_columns=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]
|Region||Average hourly Rate|
|New South Wales||$77|
|Australian Capital Territory||$96|
Emergency Plumbing Costs in Sydney
Many of the higher quality plumbers in Sydney will run a 24/7 emergency service, such as Sydney Emergency Plumbers. A plumbing emergency is one that cannot wait – a professional has to be dispatched immediately in order to resolve the issue.
While typical callout fees are around $80 – $120, emergency callouts in Sydney are in the region of $150 – $250. The hourly rate is also likely to be doubled. So if you are thinking about calling a plumber at 3 AM, wait until 9 AM unless it really is an emergency!
The reason for the increased cost is because the issue has to be resolved immediately. Second, the plumbers have to stay awake all night when they would rather be in bed. The cost of running a 24/7 emergency plumbing unit is not free or without difficulty.
Why are plumbers so expensive in Sydney and greater Australia?
Well, it’s actually a better bet to look at the service as an investment instead of a charge. After all, having a high pressure hot water system that works whenever you want is a pretty good service. Like many areas, it’s best to do it right so you don’t have to worry about it for quite a while.
Plumbers are expected to work around the clock for immediate response and are constantly bending down to fix pipes and drains. This poses a health risk. Unclogging drains and toilets is often not a pleasant task. Moreover, plumbers have a wide skill set, use a lot of tools, and spend years gaining experience. Compared to other services (carpenters, electricians, tilers, etc), plumbing is not really all that expensive. And the water system is, along with the electrical circuitry, the most important system in the home.
How do I know if I am being overcharged by my plumber?
Just look at the typical prices for plumbing services on this page and elsewhere and ask for a cost breakdown. There is a misconception that tradespeople will overcharge for their services as much as they can and take advantage. But this makes little sense. People will figure out they have been overcharged and the business reputation will be destroyed. It is in the best interests of plumbers to charge appropriately for their services. This is why costs are pretty standardised – plumbers have transparent callout fees and charges for services.
How much do plumbers charge per hour in Sydney?
Plumbers in Sydney tend to run a little more expensive in comparison to other regions in Australia. The average hourly rate for a plumber in Sydney is $99 – $135. In contrast, you can expect to pay $80 – $90 in Melbourne and $90 – $100 in Perth. Sydney Emergency Plumbers charges a fixed rate so you are 100% confident of what you are paying for. No hidden fees or surprises here.
How much does it cost to plumb a new house in Australia?
This will depend on the plumber you use and the size of your home. Using a single plumber is often cheaper than using a plumbing company, in certain instances. The total price is a function of the materials required along with the time taken and the hourly rate. But it is rare to get an hourly rate for the plumbing of a new house. You will get a fixed price. According to Archicentre Australia, the cost to plumb a 150 m2 house with reasonable access would be between $10,000 – $20,000.
How much does it cost to rough in plumbing for a house?
The term ’rough in’ refers to the basic piping system that is installed along with the frame and electric. At this stage, the walls and ceilings will not yet have been covered with wallboard. At this point, the work may be viewed by a building inspector for safety and compliance. Initial plumbing for a house might be around $12,000 – $18,000. For smaller units, this rough in costs would shrink to $6,000 – $10,000.
What is a master plumber?
A master plumber is one that is a member of Master Plumbers Australia. This industry association was started all the way back in 1891 and is one of the biggest associations in Australia. It lies with multiple authorities, including the Australian Building Codes Board, Standards Australia, and the World Plumbing Council. It is not to be confused with Masters Plumbers Australian and New Zealand (‘MPANZ’), which represents industries in those 2 regions. If your plumber is a master plumber or a member of any associations, the cost will probably be higher.
Plumbing Costs – The Bottom Line
Plumbing costs are not cheap, but there is a reason for the charges. You can reduce costs by understanding the industry better and figuring out what you are looking for. It might also be a good bet to look at preventative maintenance measures so you minimise the risk of water system failures.
In the meantime, call Sydney Emergency Plumbers if you are looking to reduce costs with a high-quality contractor with upfront fixed fees.
Call now for a free quote that makes sense – 96224888.
Browse Emergency Plumbing Services Near You
- Emergency Plumber Baulkham Hills
- Emergency Plumber Beaumont Hills
- Emergency Plumber Blacktown
- Emergency Plumber Box Hill
- Emergency Plumber Castle Hill
- Emergency Plumber Dural
- Emergency Plumber Inner West
- Emergency Plumber Galston
- Emergency Plumber Kellyville
- Emergency Plumber Liverpool
- Emergency Plumber Maraylya
- Emergency Plumber North Sydney
- Emergency Plumber Parramatta
- Emergency Plumber Quakers Hill
- Emergency Plumber Scheyville
- Emergency Plumber Sydney
- Emergency Plumber Wetherill Park
- Emergency Plumber Wentworthville
- Emergency Plumber Bonnyrigg
- Emergency Plumber Clareville
- Emergency Plumber Elderslie
- Emergency Plumber Kogorah
- Emergency Plumber Rouse Hill
- Emergency Plumber Stanmore
- Emergency Plumber Wheeler Heights